Well, there you have it folks. It finally happened for Leo. As you celebrate his win, we have a few more snack options for you.
5. Furiosa Guacamole
- 4 avocados, halved & pitted. Leave in skin. Reserve one pit.
- 1 lime
- 1 medium sweet yellow or red onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded & diced
- 2 serrano or jalapeño chiles (red or green,) seeded and minced
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed or minced
Spices are to taste. A good starting point is 1/4 tsp.
- Salt (Consider going easy on this, as chips are usually already salty enough.)
- Ground black pepper
- Ground cumin
- Ground cayenne
- Epazote flakes (1/2 tsp is a good place to start.)
It’s fun to mix up the spiciness and colorfulness of this recipe by using different combinations of the chilis, onions, and cayenne. Serranos are on the mild side, and jalapeños more spicy.
Epazote is usually found in Latino food markets on those spice racks where everything is in a cellophane envelope. It’s usually necessary to process it at home to get all the twigs and stems out, but IMO this “secret” ingredient is worth the effort.
- Drag the tines of a fork lengthwise through each avocado half to “shred” it.
- Scoop out the avocados with a spoon into a large bowl. This will give a uniform consistency, and allow the guacamole to remain chunky. When adding ingredients, try not to over-stir.
- Squeeze the lime onto the avocados to combine. This not only adds flavor, it retards oxidation.
- Add the garlic & chiles to combine.
- Add most of the onion & tomato to combine. Add more according to taste & presentation.
- Add spices to combine. Add more according to taste.
- Add one avocado pit.
- May be chilled for 1 hour before serving, but this is another taste choice.
-recipe courtesy of kbentubo Continue reading Oscar-worthy Snacks: Part 2