Let’s pick up where we left off, shall we. When Tyrion is journeying back down from the Wall, he runs into Catelyn at an inn at the Crossroads, while she is secretly traveling back to Winterfell from King’s Landing.
Lannister glanced at the nearest tables. “My men will have whatever you’re serving these people. Double portions, we’ve had a long hard ride. I’ll take roast fowl – chicken, duck, pigeon, it makes no matter. And send a flagon of your best wine…”
This week Tyrion recommends a roasted chicken. Pair with a flagon of your favorite Chianti.
Herb & Lemon Roasted Chicken
- 3.5 – 4.5 pound whole chicken, neck + giblets removed
- 2 lemons, one cut in half and one zested
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- Few sprigs of thyme, rosemary, and sage (cut 1 tsp of each herb and put aside)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt & Pepper
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 425° F.
2. Season the inside of the chicken with salt. Place the lemon halves, garlic head, sprigs, and half of the onion inside the cavity. Place the chicken breast-side up in a large cast-iron skillet or a frying pan.
3. In a bowl, combine the butter, chopped herbs, and lemon zest
4. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter mixture
5. Squeeze lemon on top and then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika
6. Roast the chicken for approximately an hour. When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165º F it is done!
7. Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving it.